Are you looking for a stylish way to display your favorite wide-brim hats? Look no further than Sage & Twine! We specialize in creating beautiful, high-quality macrame hat hangers that are perfect for adding a touch of elegance to your home decor. In this article, we'll teach you how to make your own macrame hat hanger using sustainable materials and attention to detail.
What You'll Need
Before you begin, gather the following materials:
- Macrame cord (we recommend a beginner-friendly size for your first project)
- A macrame hoop or wooden dowel
- A measuring tape or ruler
Getting Started: Calculating Cord Length
One of the most common questions we receive is, "How much cord do I need for a macrame hat hanger?" To answer this question, consider the following:
- Measure the circumference of your hoop or dowel
- Multiply the circumference by the number of cords you plan to use (we recommend starting with 12)
- Add 1 meter (approximately 3 feet) to the total for each cord to allow for knotting and hanging
This formula will help you determine the approximate amount of cord needed for your project.
Creating the Macrame Hanger
Step 1: Attach the Cords to the Hoop
Begin by folding each cord in half, creating a loop at the folded end. Place the loop over the hoop or dowel, and pull the loose ends of the cord through the loop. This is called a "Lark's Head" knot. Repeat this process for each cord, spacing them evenly around the hoop.
Step 2: Create Square Knots
Now that your cords are attached, it's time to create square knots. This is one of the easiest macrame techniques for beginners. To create a square knot, follow these steps:
- Working with four cords at a time, take the leftmost cord and cross it over the two middle cords, forming a '4' shape.
- Take the rightmost cord and pass it over the tail of the leftmost cord, under the two middle cords, and through the loop formed by the '4' shape.
- Pull both the left and right cords tight to form the first half of the square knot.
- Repeat the process, but this time start with the rightmost cord and cross it over the two middle cords, forming a backwards '4' shape.
- Take the leftmost cord and pass it over the tail of the rightmost cord, under the two middle cords, and through the loop formed by the backwards '4' shape.
- Pull both the left and right cords tight to complete the square knot.
Continue creating square knots around the hoop, making sure to keep them evenly spaced.
Step 3: Create Loops for Hanging Hats
Next, you'll want to create loops for hanging your hats. To do this, follow these steps:
- Select two adjacent cords that are part of different square knots.
- Create a new square knot with these two cords, about 2-3 inches below the previous row of square knots.
- Repeat this process around the hoop, ensuring the loops are evenly spaced.
You can create additional rows of loops if desired, depending on the number of hats you plan to hang.
Finishing Your Macrame Hat Hanger
Once you've created the desired number of loops, trim any excess cord to your preferred length. Your macrame hat hanger is now complete and ready to be hung on the wall!
At Sage & Twine, we also offer a stunning selection of ready-to-ship macrame hat hangers and macrame wall hangings with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Browse our collections today and find the perfect piece to complement your home decor.